Sunday 23rd February 2020
23 Feb 2020 by O'Connor Uniting Church in: Reflections
First reading: Exodus 24:12-18
Psalm: Psalm 2 or Psalm 99
Second reading: 2 Peter 1:16-21
Gospel: Matthew 17:1-9
The story of the transfiguration directs us away from trying to understand Jesus only as he is revealed in glory. It points us down the mountain and invites us to walk with Jesus into the suffering, hungry crowds. The divine voice commands us to listen to Jesus.
But listening is more than hearing. As Jesus says in the Sermon on the Mount, building on the rock means not only hearing his words, but acting on them (Matthew 7:24).
Lord, we pray for:
- all affected by the coronavirus, and for global containment and elimination of the virus. May those who recently returned to Australia from the contaminated cruise ship have health and peace during their further two weeks in quarantine
- all affected by the bushfires and floods, for restoration of their lives and property
- all who are subject to domestic violence, particularly women and children, that they get timely help and are supported by their family, friends and neighbours
- the people of Syria dislodged by war and facing homelessness and loss of life
Thank you, Lord:
- that we live in Australia where we have democracy